Anthro 3001: Anthropology as a Major and a Career
The course has two main aims: (1) to provide you with the information
and skills needed to be a successful student in the Department of
Anthropology, and (2) to prepare you to use your degree productively
after you graduate. You will learn about departmental programs and
University resources through guest speakers and library workshops, and
you will explore career options through an individual and group
New article on the Atlantic,
Ever-Tightening Job Market for Ph.D.s. Sobering reading, but
you can maximize your chances if your Ph.D. research is on a topic
of relevance to non-academic employers also.
As you think about the final careers projects, you might find
this page from the website of the
American Anthropological Association
a useful place to start. Also, check out the other links below under career resources.
Homework Click on each assignment and read instructions carefully
- Finding sources due Feb 1
- Talk to a Prof due Feb 29
- Film review due Mar 28
Career Advice from Anthropology Associations
Field Schools and International Opportunities Here are
some links to field schools and related opportunities.
There are many other organizations that sponsor field research expeditions, not all of them reputable. Do your own due diligence.
- U. of U. Department of Anthropology fieldschools
- Other University of Utah international opportunities
- Archaeology opportunities (national and international)
- Primatology opportunities (national and international)
News Articles about Anthropologists in the Workplace
These 6 "Body Farms" Help Forensic Anthropologists Learn To Solve Crimes.
Forbes, June 2015.
Job outlook for anthropologists and archaeologists (Bureau
of Labor Statistics).
- What to do with a degree in Anthropology
(from The Guardian, August 2010: Anthropology graduates enter a
variety of professions and their employability will no doubt increase
as the world becomes ever more globalised).
Helping Doctoral Students Rethink the Tenure Track. If you
are thinking about a doctorate in Anthropology, prepare for a
career outside academia.
- Anthropologists go native in the corporate village (FastCompany.com, Dec. 2007)
- Corporate anthropology:
Dirt-free research(cnn.com, 2008)
- The Science of Desire (marketing and consumer research article, Business Week, June, 2006)
- How Moore's Law drove Intel into the arms of anthropologists (arstechnica.com, 2010. Ethnography better than focus groups at learning what consumers will want.)
Hiring window is open at the foreign service (New York Times, Dec. 2008).
Video interviews with five anthropologists at the Smithsonian Museum
(N. Amer. archaeology, osteology, Arctic studies, linguistics, film archivist).