Anthro 3001: Anthropology as a Major and a Career
This course is designed to help you transition from student to
career. The best way to do that is to start now to identify career
opportunities of interest, so that you have time to obtain the skills
and experience that will help you achieve your goals. This course will
- teach you about career opportunities for anthropology
- introduce you to University and Departmental opportunities and
- help you to identify your own goals and how to reach them, and
- teach you to be a more competitive applicant for internships,
jobs, and graduate school.
Spring 2018 Syllabus
Submitting assignments to turnitin.com
Set up a student account at turnitin.com if you don't have one already.
The enrollment key and class ID for this course is on the syllabus.
When you upload an assignment, be sure to click submit, and make
sure you get a digital receipt. If you have a problem, let me
In order to see instructor comments on turnitin, select Instructor Feedback within Feedback Studio and click the speech bubble icons.
Assignments and due dates
- personal plan: due March 12 (intermediate deadlines on syllabus)
- resume: due April 2
- cover letter: due April 16
- group presentations: April 16 and 23
- peer review: due April 27
Guidance for Career Reports
1. Field Schools and International Opportunities
U. of U. Department of Anthropology fieldschools
Other University of Utah international opportunities
Archaeology opportunities (national and international)
Primatology opportunities (national and international)
2. Career Advice and Opportunities from Professional Associations
3. News Articles about Anthropologists in the Workplace
These 6 "Body Farms" Help Forensic Anthropologists Learn To Solve Crimes.
Forbes, June 2015.
- Here's Why Companies Are Desperate To Hire Anthropologists. Business Insider, March 2014.
- The rise of corporate anthropology. Harvard Business Review, 2007.
Job outlook for anthropologists and archaeologists (Bureau
of Labor Statistics).
- What to do with a degree in Anthropology
(from The Guardian, August 2010: Anthropology graduates enter a
variety of professions and their employability will no doubt increase
as the world becomes ever more globalised).
Helping Doctoral Students Rethink the Tenure Track. If you
are thinking about a doctorate in Anthropology, prepare for a
career outside academia.
- If CIA calls, should Anthropologists Answer? Inside Higher Ed, 2006
- Anthropologists go native in the corporate village (FastCompany.com, Dec. 2007)
- Corporate anthropology:
Dirt-free research(cnn.com, 2008)
- The Science of Desire (marketing and consumer research article, Business Week, June, 2006)
- How Moore's Law drove Intel into the arms of anthropologists (arstechnica.com, 2010. Ethnography better than focus groups at learning what consumers will want.)
Hiring window is open at the foreign service (New York Times, Dec. 2008).
Video interviews with five anthropologists at the Smithsonian Museum
(N. Amer. archaeology, osteology, Arctic studies, linguistics, film archivist).
Ever-Tightening Job Market for Ph.D.s (The Atlantic) . Sobering reading, but
you can maximize your chances if your Ph.D. research is on a topic
of relevance to non-academic employers also.