Anthro 3001: Anthropology as a Major and a Career
The course has two main aims: (1) to provide you with the information
and skills needed to be a successful student in the Department of
Anthropology, and (2) to prepare you to use your degree productively
after you graduate. You will learn about departmental programs and
University resources through guest speakers and library workshops, and
you will explore career options through an individual and group
Interesting op-ed today (March 11) in the S.L. Tribune.
How many students are aware, for example, that 75 percent of college
graduates work in fields unrelated to their major [and] that 35
percent to 40 percent of entry-level hiring is "open to all majors"...?
Phil Gardner, labor researcher at Michigan State University, puts it
like this: "There are really only two choices for graduates who want a
lot of options, to be a technically savvy liberal arts graduate or a
liberally educated technical graduate."
Homework Click on each assignment and read instructions carefully
- Finding sources due Feb 1
- Talk to a Prof due Feb 22
- Film review due Mar 22
Career Advice from Professional Associations
Field Schools and International Opportunities Here are
some links to field schools and related opportunities.
There are many other organizations that sponsor field research expeditions, not all of them reputable. Do your own due diligence.
- U. of U. Department of Anthropology fieldschools
- Other University of Utah international opportunities
- Archaeology opportunities (national and international)
- Primatology opportunities (national and international)
News Articles about Anthropologists in the Workplace
These 6 "Body Farms" Help Forensic Anthropologists Learn To Solve Crimes.
Forbes, June 2015.
- Here's Why Companies Are Desperate To Hire Anthropologists. Business Insider, March 2014.
- The rise of corporate anthropology. Harvard Business Review, 2007.
Job outlook for anthropologists and archaeologists (Bureau
of Labor Statistics).
- What to do with a degree in Anthropology
(from The Guardian, August 2010: Anthropology graduates enter a
variety of professions and their employability will no doubt increase
as the world becomes ever more globalised).
Helping Doctoral Students Rethink the Tenure Track. If you
are thinking about a doctorate in Anthropology, prepare for a
career outside academia.
- If CIA calls, should Anthropologists Answer? Inside Higher Ed, 2006
- Anthropologists go native in the corporate village (FastCompany.com, Dec. 2007)
- Corporate anthropology:
Dirt-free research(cnn.com, 2008)
- The Science of Desire (marketing and consumer research article, Business Week, June, 2006)
- How Moore's Law drove Intel into the arms of anthropologists (arstechnica.com, 2010. Ethnography better than focus groups at learning what consumers will want.)
Hiring window is open at the foreign service (New York Times, Dec. 2008).
Video interviews with five anthropologists at the Smithsonian Museum
(N. Amer. archaeology, osteology, Arctic studies, linguistics, film archivist).